Robin L. Bergman 23 Bradford Street Concord, MA 01742-2971 978-369-1925
since 1984 Independent Designer, & President, Robin Originals Creative Knits, Lexington & Concord, MA.
Original knitwear in Stores, Galleries, Museums, Craft & Trade Shows in USA & internationally,
2006 Designed & created sweaters for the 2006 released indie film "The Night Listener"
starring Robin Williams,Toni Colette, Sandra Oh, Rory Culkin.
2000 Designed & produced knitwear for Coldwater Creek Catalogue.
1998 Created One of a Kind Piece for Alpaca Owners & Breeders Association Fashion Show.
1993-94 Freelance Designer & Technician, Scott, Brooks & Harvey, Dedham, MA.
1981-84 Assistant Textile Conservator, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston, MA.
Conserving antique textiles, laces, garments & tapestries; cleaning, cataloging, display,
storage of collection, furniture reupholstery; research, photography, documentation of work.
1981-83 Conservator, Antique Garments, American Institute of Textile Arts, Chestnut Hill, MA.
1980-81 Graphic design, Lechmere Sales Stores.
1979 Assistant, Development Department, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD.
1975-77 Researcher & Assistant, Editorial Department, MD Publications, Inc. NYC.
M.F.A. Hoffberger School of Painting, Maryland Institute College of Art,
1980 Baltimore, MD. Worked under Grace Hartigan.
B.A. Cum Laude with Honors in Fine Arts, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA.
1977 Designed independent Honors Project in Painting under Paul Brown, Jake
Berthot, Louis Finkelstein, Elaine de Kooning, Michael Mazur. Brandeis
University Student Senator. Deans List I.
1981-82 "A Fine Stitch in Time" Textile Conservation with Helene Von Rosenstiel;
Textile Analysis, Elizabeth Lahikainen, American Institute of Textile Arts, Chestnut Hill, MA.
Black & White Photography, developing, printing, Project, Inc., Cambridge, MA.
Tailoring Garments, Pattern Drafting, Center for Adult Education, Cambridge, MA.
Production & Layout, Graphic Design, Sandy Shaefer, Mass. College of Art, Boston, MA.
1975-76 Ecole des Beaux Arts & University of Paris, Drawing, Painting,Paris, France.
1974 Painting & Drawing, Summer Six, Skidmore College, Saratoga, NY.
1973 Painting, Summer Art Program, Southampton College, Southampton, NY.
1968 -70 Painting, Summer Art Program, Usdan Center for the Arts, NY.
1967-69 Art classes, Huntington Township Art League, Huntington, NY.
AWARDS & COMMISSIONS
2013 Hixon Interior Award. Excellence in craftsmanship, artistic expression, design innovation &
construction, Artwear Fashion Show, The Lincoln Center, Ft Collins, CO
2009 Hall of Fame, for career achievement plus community service, Jericho High School, NY
1992-2008 8 Niche Awards, Fiber Knitted & Functional Fiber,for craft excellence,Rosen Agency, Phila.,PA.
since 2002 National Registry of Who’s Who, Executives & Professionals.
since 2001 National Registry of Who’s Who, Artists & Designers.
2001 Ceremonial Torah Cover commissioned for Temple Shir Tikvah, Winchester, MA.
2000 The Cardigan Project, Women’s Supported Housing & Empowerment benefit, Boston, MA.
1998 Jewish Women’s Archives “Women whose Lives Span the Century” Signature Piece, Boston, MA.
1998 Clothing the Muse Award, Muse of the Millenium invitational, the Seattle Weavers’ Guild
1995 Presentation Gift commission for Curator Sue Pierce from the Artists of Art Quilts: Playing
With A Full Deck, Renwick Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC.
1991 Best of Show, Arlington Arts Council, Juried Show, Arlington, MA.
1988 Best of Show, Machine Knitting. First Prize, Two Color Work, Machine
Knitting; Craftadventure Statewide Juried Competition, West Springfield, MA.
1988 Moxie V: Young Designers' Showcase, Park Plaza Hotel, Boston, MA.
1977 Kathy Stephens Spiegal Award, Painting, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA.
SKILLS Robin L. Bergman
Machine Knitting (Punchard & Electronic), Hand-knitting, Crochet, Sewing, Beading
(On & Off- Loom), quilting, silk screening, Painting (oils, acrylics), textile conservation,
Stitch Painter, Design-A-Knit, Microsoft Word, Excel, Quark, Adobe Indesign, Adobe Photoshop,
Wordpress (blogging), social media (facebook, twitter, pinterest)
1994 -2014 Founder & Show Director, West Concord Designers annual Open Studio Show, Concord, MA.
2006-07 Founder, organizer, publicity, graphics. 100percent Salon- New York City.
2006 Juror, Fashion Students, Mt. Ida College, Newton, MA.
2003- 06 Advisory Boardmember, The Providence Craft Show, Providence, RI.
04,02,94,96 Juror, American Craft Council screenings for National Craft Shows.
2000 Juror, Art/Craft @ the Cyclorama, Boston, MA. Juror, ArtWorks, ORT, Newton, MA.
1999 Juror, Crafts At The Castle, Boston, MA.
1999 Instructor, Knitting/Design 3 Day Intensive Workshop, Horizons (now Snow Farm), Sunderland, MA.
1994 Juror, Danforth Museum Craft Festival.
1992-96 Boston Designers Collaborative member, Fashion Shows & Sales, Boston, MA.
1994-6 Instructor, Creativity & Design Workshops, Creative Knitting Retreat, Santa Fe & Taos, NM.
1993 Juror, Lexington Public Library Art Shows for 1994.
1993 Organizer, Year of American Craft SlideTalks and Studio Tours, Arts Lexington, Lexington, MA.
1992-3 Editor & Writer, Gallimaufry- Arts Newsletter, Arts Lexington, Lexington, MA.
1992 How to Market Your Work & Set Up Your Business, Week long Cochenille Design Workshop, Carlsbad, CA.
1992 WBAL TV, Channel 11 Live interview, News Magazine Show, Baltimore, MD.
1991 Guest Lecturer, The Technique of Boiled Wool, Machine Knitters Exchange, Ft Lee, NJ.
1988-89 Guest Lecturer, Business Startup Workshops, Women's Educational & Industrial Union, Boston, MA.
1988 Instructor, Knitting Classes & Workshops, Arts Lexington, Lexington, MA.
1987 Guest WDLW1330 AM, Starting Your Own Small Business, Country Wisdom with Jan McKenzie, Boston, MA.
1986-93 Manager, Christmas Secrets Crafts Cooperative, Cambridge/Brookline, MA.
1986-88 President, Artful Attire, Cooperative & Networking Group, professional wearable art producers.
1979 Teaching Assistant, Foundation Drawing, Maryland Institute College of Art Baltimore, MD.
SELECT JURIED CRAFT & WHOLEALE SHOWS
2011-13 Craft Boston, Boston, MA.
1996-14 Atelier Designers, New York City.
1992- 96 Showroom Show, New York City.
2011-12 Craft/NEWYORK, New York City.
2006-07 100percent Salon- New York City.
1988-14 American Crafts Council Shows, Baltimore, SF, Minneapolis/St. Paul, W Springfield, Columbus, Chicago, Sarasota.
1988- 06 Buyers Market of American Crafts, Philadelphia, PA.
2002-11 Contemporary Crafts Market, Santa Monica, CA.
2003-04 Art/Baltimore, Baltimore, MD.
1990-00 Crafts At The Castle, Boston, MA.
1988-08 Crafts Park Avenue (Spring, Fall, Winter), Park Avenue Armory, NYC.
2001-03 Crafts Upper West Side, Columbia University, NYC.
1989-91,00 American Craft Exposition, Evanston, IL.
2002-04 Providence Craft Show, Providence, RI.
1999 Bruce Museum Crafts Festival, Greenwich, CT.
1998-00 Art/Craft @ the Cyclorama, Boston, MA.
1997 The Smithsonian Craft Show, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
1995-97 Westchester Craft Show, White Plains, NY.
95-00, 05-09 Paradise City Arts Festival, Northampton, MA.
8-99, 05,10 Paradise East Arts Festival, Marlborough, MA.
1995-7,99,02 Danforth Museum Craft Festival, Framingham, MA.
1993 The Philadelphia Craft Show, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA.
1990-95 WBAI Craft Show, NYC.
1991-94 Germantown Friends School Craft Show, Philadelphia, PA.
1991, 93- 96 Washington Crafts Show, Washington, D.C.
1991-3 Morristown Craft Market, Morristown, NJ.
1988, 06 Boston Buyer's Market of American Crafts, Rosen Agency, Boston, MA.
1988 Fall Crafts At Lyndhurst, Tarrytown, NY.
SELECT JURIED INVITATIONAL GALLERY & TRUNK SHOWS Robin L. Bergman
2012 Art & the Human Form: Concept, Costume & Beyond, Blue Door Gallery, Yonkers, NY.
2012 Fiber in the Present Tense, SDA, Artworks! New Bedford, MA.
2011 Brookfield Craft Center, Brookfield, CT.
2011 SDA MA/RI Regional Juried Show, One Pasion, Many Voices, New Bedford, MA.
2008-11 High Fiber Under Five, San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, San Jose, CA.
2006 St Dunstan Red Door GalleryDover,MA.
2006 Adorned & Embellished: The Art of Accessories, Concord Art Association, Concord, MA.
2004 Donneckers, Ephrata, PA. Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, Houston, TX.
2003 Creative Arts Workshop special trunk show, New Haven, CT.
2004-6 Crafts For Living,Holiday Invitational, Philadelphia, PA.
1993-12 Colored Threads, Katie Gingrass Gallery, Milwaukee, WI.
1994-07 Artists Market & Style Show, DeCordova Museum, Lincoln, MA.
1992-13 Julie: Artisans' Gallery, NYC.
2002-06 Holidazzle, KY Museum of Art & Craft, Louisville, KY.
2001 Bellagio trunk show, Asheville, NC.
1998-13 Artwear Fashion Show, The Lincoln Center, Fort Collins, CO.
1999, 07 Earth Spirits, trunk show, Palm Desert, CA.
Wear Art Thou, Wearable Art Fashion Show, New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA.
1998 Beyond the Tradition, Art Quilts, Federal Reserve Bank Gallery, Boston, MA.
Jewish Women’s Archives “Women whose Lives Span the Century”project,
Signature Piece: Ceremonial Coat: Aishes Chayil, Jewish Community Center, Newton, MA.
Muse of the Millenium, Nordic Heritage Museum, Seattle, WA.
1997-13 Excentrique, Wearable Art Show, Hinsdale, IL.
1997-8 Threads:Wearable Art, The Craft Alliance, Ctr for Visual Art, St. Louis, MO.
Art of Fashion, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, Scottsdale, AZ.
1997 Trunk Show, Women’s Educational & Industrial Union, Boston, MA.
1996 Beyond Quilts: Contemporary Wearable Art. Slide & Fashion Show,The Newark Museum, NJ.
1990-07 Style Boutiique & Fashion Show, Decordova Museum,Lincoln, MA.
1996-7 American Crafts, Lindsey Gallery, Oak Park, IL.
Richmond Art Museum,Invitational, Richmond, IN.
Danforth Museum Invitational, Framingham, MA.
1996, 94 Minds Eye Gallery, Scottsdale, AZ.
1995-98 Trunk Show, Jubilation Gallery, Newton, MA.
1995-03 Wearable Art, Anderson O'Brien Gallery, Omaha, NE.
1995 Invitational, Boulder Arts & Crafts Cooperative, Boulder, CO.
1994-8 Mac World, Computer generated machine knits, San Diego, CA & Boston, MA.
1993-96 Focus: Wearable Art, Skillbeck Gallery, Charlotte, NC.
1993-98 Contemporary Crafts, Nancy Margolis Gallery, Portland, ME.
1993 The American Artisan, Nashville, TN. Newton Art Center, Newton, MA.Arts Lexington, Federal Reserve Bank
1993 Gallery, Boston, MA.The Gallery at Studio B, Lancaster, OH. Gallery 500, Elkins Park, PA. Henri Bendel,
1993 Chestnut Hill, MA. Nancy Lewis, Santa Fe, NM. Gallery Eight, La Jolla, CA.
1992-96 In the Spirit, Gayle Willson Gallery, Southampton, NY. Bodyscapes, Mindscape Gallery, Evanston, IL.
1992 Wearable Art, Eileen Kremen Gallery, Fullerton, CA.
1992 Fashion Show & Trunk Show, American Craft Museum, NYC.
1992 Shop To Your Arts Content, Center of Contemporary Art, St. Louis, MO.
1992 Holiday Show, Fuller Museum, Brockton, MA. Berenaka Collection at the Bass Museum, Miami, FL.
1991-93 Fashion Show, Boston Designers' Collaborative, Berenaka Collection at the Bass Museum, Miami, FL.
1991-93 Fashion Show, Boston Designers' Collaborative, Boston, MA.
1991-10 Designed to Wear, Cambridge Artists Cooperative, Cambridge, MA.
1991-14 Clothes for the Collector, Detroit Gallery of Contemporary Crafts, Detroit, MI.
1991-01 Indulgences, Judith Wolov Gallery, Boston & Florida.
1991-92 Holiday Show, Wesleyan Potters, Wesleyan, CT.
1991 Artful Attire, Design Concepts Gallery, Orleans, MA. Francesca Anderson Fine Art Gallery, Lexington, MA.
1990-02 Threads, America House Gallery, Piermont, NY.
1990-92 Invitational; Jackets/Coats/Sweaters, Farmington Valley Arts Center, Avon,CT.
1990-99 Wearable Art, Jacqueline Lippitz, Glencoe, IL.
1990 Designed to Wear, Invitational, Worcestor Center for Crafts, Worcestor, MA
1990 Wearables Show, Invitational, Moyer Gallery, Green Bay, WI.
1989-91 Holiday Show, Guilford Handcrafts, Guilford, CT.
1989, 92 Wearables, Pacchetto Gallery, Newton, MA.
1989-95 Trunk Show, Knitpickers, Wellesley, MA. Artful Attire Trunk Shows, Boston area.
1989, 95 Artful Apparel, Invitational, South Shore Art Center, Cohasset, MA.
1989 Fashion Show & Invitational, Endelman Two Gallery, New Haven, CT.
SELECT JURIED INVITATIONAL GALLERY & TRUNK SHOWS continued Robin L. Bergman
1989 Designed to Wear, Oregon School of Arts & Crafts, Portland, OR.
1989 Spring Wearables: Three Designers, Friends Gallery, Cambridge, MA.
1989 Trunk Show, Maraschino, Boston, MA.
1989 Mrs. Cake's Gallery, Osaka, Japan.
1988-05 Celebration of American Crafts, Creative Arts Workshop, New Haven, CT. Trunk Show in ’03.
1988 Elizabeth Fortner Gallery, Santa Barbara, CA.
1988 Marion Art Center, Marion, MA.
1987-98 Flying Shuttle Gallery, Seattle, WA.
1987 Art/Couture Performance, Cape Cod Playhouse, Dennis, MA.
1986-87 Bergman & Rogers/Knits & Wovens, Friends Gallery, Cambridge, MA.
1986 Show of Hand-crafted Wearables, The Garment Gallery, Lincoln & Weston,,MA.
1986 Crafts Showcase, Brookline Arts Center, Brookline, MA.
1986 Fashion Show, Northeast Machine Knitters Seminar, Wakefield, MA.
1985 Wearable Art Fashion Show, Acton Arts League, Acton, MA.
1983 Absolutely Abstract, assistant curator, Boston Visual Artists Union, MA.
1981 Fibers: From Function to Formalization, Federal Reserve BankGallery,Boston,MA.
1981 Contemporary Women Artists, Grove Street Gallery, Worcestor, MA.
1980 Femmage/Fiber Collage, slide presentation by Miriam Shapiro, NY, NY.
1980 MFA Graduate Thesis Exhibit, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD.
1977 7 Seniors 77, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA.
1976 Four Honors Painters, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA.
1973,’74 Group Show, Skidmore College, Saratoga, NY,
1974. ’73 Group Show, Southampton College, Southampton, NY.
SELECT NOTABLE PUBLICATIONS/ PRESS
• Art & the Human Form, 2012, Book, Arlé Sklar- Weinstein, Director, The Blue Door Gallery.
• Faerie Magazine, Fall 2005, 5 page feature article/photos.
• The Art of Beadwork, by Valerie Hector, Watson-Guptill, featured artist. February 2005.
• Fiberarts Magazine, Art to Wear Annual, Jan/Feb 2005, Vol. 31, No. 4,. featured artist.
• Crafts News, CHF International, Volume 15, issue 61,p.10, 2005.
• Niche Magazine, Tailor-Made Tactics, by Sara Jerome, Autumn 2004, Vol.16, No. 4, featured artist.
• Ornament Magazine, Atelier Designers, Creative Fashion, Carolyn L.E. Benesh, Summer 2004, volume 27, no.4.
• "A New Hub For Artists? West Concord studios create a variety of designs," The Concord Journal, 9/12/02.
• Surface Design Journal, featured interview, Spring 2002, vol. 26 no. 3, Knitted Surfaces.
• The Fiberarts Book of Wearable Art , Katherine Aimone, LarkPublishing, Spring 2002, featured artist.
• Ornament Magazine, “Robin Bergman, A Remarkable Alchemy,” featured artist, Summer 1999.
• Fiberarts Design Books VII, Fall 2004, VI, Fall 1999 & Fiberarts Design Book IV, Fall 1991, Lark Publications.
• Spotlight: The Art of Honoring Older Women, Reform Judaism Magazine, Beth M. Gilbert, Carol Kur, Spring 1999.
• Sunday New York Times, “Fiber & Ceramics, Front & Center,” May 16, 1999.
• Ornament Magazine, Atelier feature article, Fall 1998.
• Sabbath Evening Coat “Aishes Chayil”, Gallery section, American Craft Magazine, Fall 1998.
• Who Wears Art? featuring Atelier , Kathleen McCann, Fiberarts January/February1998.
• American Style Magazine, No. 12, Wearing Your Art on Your Sleeve, by Karen Chambers, Spring 1998.
• The Complete Book of Scarves, Jo Packham, Sterling /Chapelle Publishers,1998.
• Cover,The Crafts Report, July 1997. From The Hand to the Body: Marketing Art Wearables, Paula C. Scardamalia..
• Vivica Fox is wardrobed in Robin Originals accessories in the film “Soul Food.”
• Market Round-up: What’s selling in art-to-wear?, Amy Feinstein, The Crafts Report Magazine, July 1997.
• When the Art is on the Back of the Beholder, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Catherine Fitzpatrick, Sept 1997.
• Sophisticated Style: Luxurious Handmade Sweaters:A Fashion Collector’s Dream, Distinction Magazine, Oct. ‘96.
• Born To Shop: New England # 2, Directory of Favorite Craftspeople, Suzy Gershman, Harper Collins, 1995.
• Aspen Sojourner, Summer 1996.
• In Style Robin Originals, Knitting Times Magazine, May 1996.
• Fashion Feature, The Tab Newspaper, Boston, MA. January 1996.
• Wearable Art Feature New Lines, Fiberarts Magazine, March/April, 1996.
• Gallery Show Reviews, Mindscape Gallery, Ornament Magazine, Fall 1995.
• Designer Focus and Machine Knitting Pattern, Machine Knitters Source, February 1994.
• Suitable For Framing , The weekend art section of The Aspen Times, Jan. 29-30, 1994, frontpage.
• Cover Photo, Maverick Magazine, Boston, MA. September 1993.
• Cover Photo and Article, Dreamweavers, Design Times Magazine, Boston, MA. Jan/Feb 1993.
• Who's Who In American Crafts, Rosen Publishing, Baltimore, MD. 1993.
• Review, Boston Designer's Collaborative Show, 11 O'clock news, TV Channel 4, Boston, MA. 7/20/92.
• Crafting Art & Function, The Boston Globe Calendar, Boston, MA. December 10, 1992.
• Review, Hand-crafted Gifts,WBUR Radio, 91.7 FM, December 1992.
• Native Dress, Stuff Magazine, Boston, MA. November 1992, issue #118.
• Fiber Artists' Creations Emphasize Rich Colors, New York Times, Sunday, October 11, 1992.
SELECT NOTABLE PUBLICATIONS/ PRESS continued Robin L. Bergman
• Stretching the Definition of Art, The Christian Science Monitor, April 1992.
• Access Fashion, fashion directory, Spring 1991.
• Findings, Ornament Magazine, Spring 1991.
• Discovering Polymer Clay, Shuttle Spindle & Dyepot, Spring 1991.
• Custom Made, S. Buff, Editor, MacMillan, 1990.
• Fair With A Flair, Baltimore Jewish Times, Baltimore, MD, February 1988.
•American Craft Council (ACC)
•Surface Design Association (SDA)
•Beadesigner International (BDI)
•Concord MA Chamber of Commerce
• Artscape Bradford Mill, Concord, MA
•Cambridge Artists Cooperative